The Catholic Community Foundation of Southwest Florida is proudly offering the “Frederick W. Schaerf, M.D., Ph.D. Neuroscience Scholarship”, an academic scholarship made possible through the Catholic Legacy of Dr. Schaerf and his loving family. Through the Schaerf’s generous gift to the Foundation, an academic scholarship of $4,000 will be available to a graduating senior from Bishop Verot Catholic High School in Fort Myers, Florida who is interested in pursuing a career in neuroscience or related field.
The scholarship can be used for tuition, books, fees and tutoring services (housing and living expenses are not eligible). *Members or relatives of the Catholic Community Foundation staff, Board of Directors, the Office of Catholic Schools, the Scholarship Committee or of Frederick and Melissa Schaerf are ineligible to apply.
- Current high school senior at Bishop Verot Catholic High School in Fort Myers, Florida;
- Completion of an online application and financial needs assessment (link to application);
- Submission of an essay on why the student wants to pursue a career in neuroscience (or similar field) and what they hope to achieve in that field;
- Acceptance into an accredited college or university;
- Academic performance in high school
- Description of extracurricular activities including, but not limited to, work, clubs, teams, etc.;
- Total volunteer hours and a description of the volunteer activity.
- Use the “Application” link at the top right of the page to access the application or click here.
- Complete the Application and Financial Needs Assessment.
- Upload required documents to the application including your completed high school transcripts (showing UNWEIGHTED GPA and volunteer hours) and proof of acceptance into an accredited college or university.
- Submit and certify the Application when fully completed. Once submitted, no changes can be made.
2020 Application Process Now Closed
Those interested in learning how to set up an annual scholarship in their name, or the name of a loved one, please visit Open a Fund.