Non-traditional Scholarship Purpose
The Catholic Community Foundation of Southwest Florida is proudly offering the “Mary Fran Carroll Scholarship”, a new academic scholarship made possible through the Catholic Legacy of Mary Fran Carroll. Through Ms. Carroll’s generous gift to the Foundation, academic scholarships of $3,000 each will be available to residents of Sarasota County, Florida. These educational opportunities will be open to adult learners who are returning to school to obtain a college degree or vocational certification after being out of high school for three or more years (non-traditional students). Mary Fran Carroll was a woman of deep Catholic faith, who wanted those receiving her scholarship to benefit from her legacy by being better prepared to face the challenges of the world today and the ages to come, in addition to using their education for the betterment of the entire community.
$3,000 scholarships will be awarded for the 2020-21 academic year for tuition, books and fees (housing and living expenses are not eligible). Scholarships may be renewed annually for up to a total of five academic years for students maintaining a minimum GPA of 3.2 on a 4.0 (unweighted) scale. *Members or relatives of the Catholic Community Foundation staff, Board of Directors, or Scholarship Committee are ineligible to apply.
Non-traditional Student Eligibility
- Must be residents of Sarasota County, Florida who have been out of high school for three or more years with serious financial circumstances that prohibited them from pursuing their educational objectives;
- Non-traditional students usually possess one of the following characteristics: delayed enrollment into post secondary education; independent status for financial aid; have dependents other than a spouse; are single parents; attend college part-time; or work full-time;
- Completion of application and financial needs assessment (link to application);
- Motivation to use this opportunity to obtain the credentials necessary to advance in a specific career track, which must be described in a clearly articulated career plan included in the application;
- Acceptance into an accredited college, university or vocational program;
- Academic performance.
- Use the “Mary Fran Carroll Non-traditional Scholarship Application” link to the right to access the application or click here.
- Complete the Application and Financial Needs Assessment.
- Upload required documents to the application including your completed High School Transcripts, College Transcripts (if applicable), and Proof of Acceptance into an accredited college, university or vocational program.
- Submit and Certify Application when fully completed. Once submitted, no changes can be made.
2020 Application Process Now Open
Application Process Closes 3/1/2020 at 11:59 p.m. EST
Those interested in learning how to set up an annual scholarship in their name, or the name of a loved one, please visit Open a Fund.