The Catholic Community Foundation of Southwest Florida is proudly offering the ” Barry L. Carey, M.D. Scholarship“, an academic scholarship made possible through the Catholic Legacy of Dr. Barry Carey and his loving family. Through the Carey’s generous gift to the Foundation, one renewable scholarship of approximately $400 will be available to a graduating senior from a Catholic school, private school, home school, or public school in the Diocese of Venice Counties who will be a first generation in their family to attend college or university.
The Counties are as follows:
- Sarasota County
- Charlotte County
- Lee County
- DeSoto County
- Glades County
- Hardee County
- Hendry County
- Highlands County
- Manatee County
- Collier County
The scholarship can be used for tuition, books, fees and housing expenses. *Members or relatives of the Catholic Community Foundation staff, Board of Directors, the Office of Catholic Schools, the Scholarship Committee or Barry L. Carey are ineligible to apply.
- Current high school senior at Catholic School, private school, public school or home school in the Diocese of Venice;
- Completion of an online application and financial needs assessment;
- Student is first generation in their family to attend college or university
- Student must submit Verification of Parish Affiliation form;
- Submission of an essay on what their Catholic Faith has meant to them and how it has impacted their life;
- Acceptance into an accredited college or university;
- Academic performance in high school;
- Description of extracurricular activities including, but not limited to, volunteering, work, clubs, teams, etc.
Scholarship will open for application on December 19, 2022 until February 21, 2023
- Use the “Application” link at the top right of the page to access the application or click here.
- Complete the Application and Financial Needs Assessment.
- Upload required documents to the application including your completed high school transcripts (showing UNWEIGHTED GPA and volunteer hours), most recent FAFSA form with your EFC (Estimated Family Contribution), and proof of acceptance into an accredited college or university.
- Submit and certify the Application when fully completed. Once submitted, no changes can be made.
Parish Verification Form:
Those interested in learning how to set up an annual scholarship in their name, or the name of a loved one, please visit Open a Fund.